About Frank Dane
Through his formal training and extensive experience Frank brings a unique combination of multi-disciplinary perspective and experience to your team. Trained as an attorney and certified public accountant Frank spent the first decade of his career with PricewaterhouseCoopers (“PW”) concentrating on auditing, internal accounting controls and advising clients, at various stages of development from start-up to IPO and beyond. His experience at PW also includes M&A and litigation support. After a tour of duty as a Tax Manger he was promoted to Senior Manager, Entrepreneurial Services Division, of that firm’s Silicon Valley Office in San Jose California and created that department’s first comprehensive strategic plan.
After completing law school, accomplished while working full time at PW, Frank left public accounting and began devoting his innovative and analytical thinking and strong communication and leadership skills to serving companies as an operating team leader in the position of Chief Financial Officer and Chief Legal Officer responsible for all aspects of finance, accounting and internal reporting, administration, legal, SEC reporting and compliance, human resources, investor relations and corporate communications.
In his capacity as a CPA and then as a Chief Financial and Legal Officer, Frank has served companies in a variety of industries including general manufacturing, high tech manufacturing, computer software and hardware, robotics, real estate, medical devices, biopharmaceutical, communications, banking, government contracting, automotive and retail. He also has extensive experience with not-for-profit and government organizations. Operating and financial experience include:
- Cash Management, Budgeting and Financial Modeling
- Funded Operations by Consummating License Agreements Resulting in Multimillion Dollar Upfront License Fee Payments
- Public and Private Financings – Equity and Debt and Creative Combinations, in the US and Canada
- Initial Public Offerings, US and Canada
- Registration of Limited Partnership Interests
- Strategic Planning
- Contract Creation, Negotiation and Administration
- Creation and Administration of Employee Stock Compensation Plans
- Government Grants
- Mergers and Acquisitions, and Divestitures
- Acquisition and Sale of Technology
- Intellectual Property Protection
- Export Control
- Risk Mitigation
- Accounting System Establishment and Monitoring
- Establishment of Policies and Procedures and Creation of Policies and Procedures Manual
- Product Development and Launches
- Joint Venture Formation in the Peoples Republic of China
- Member of the Board of Directors for Numerous Companies Including a Chinese Joint Venture and a Japanese Subsidiary
- Creation of Pandemic Health Crisis Preparedness Plan
During his tenure as Chief Financial Officer with a software company, that company received the Global Frost and Sullivan Award for Market Leadership, and the Frost and Sullivan Award for Growth Strategy Leadership. Additionally, the company was twice named to Software Magazine’s Annual Software 500 List.
Frank’s broad based experience and training allows him to quickly assess all aspects of a company and rapidly develop and implement practical solutions to strengthen infrastructures and operations. Frank is high energy, maintains a strategic perspective and couples that with a hands-on approach and a process orientation all aimed at increasing value for his clients.
In addition to his business experience, Frank has taught accounting and corporation finance at several traditional universities as well as teaching the Becker CPA review course. He has also taught at the University of Phoenix – Graduate School of Business and at the Keller Graduate School of Management, DeVry University.
Frank and his wife Margi have been married for 35 years. They live in Portland Oregon and have a grown daughter. Frank is active in the local community contributing his time and expertise to local organizations.
- Juris Doctorate: Santa Clara University School of Law
- MS Accounting: University of New Haven
- BS Social Science & Education: Southern Connecticut State University
Certificates & Licenses:
- CPA (inactive)
- California Bar Association
Articles by Frank Dane
- Streamlining Your Business with Easy to Use Technology
- Positioning Your Emerging Business Against Larger Competitors
- How Changes in Washington May Impact Your Business
- Fed to Raise Interest Rates: Impact on Your Business
- 10 Ways to Grow an Emerging Business
- Applying the Laws of Physics to Your Emerging Business
- Leading Change in Your Emerging Business
- Leveraging Economies of Scale to Grow Your Emerging Business
- The Need for Small Businesses to Use ApplePay
- Growing by Acquisition or Merger
- Key Attributes of Small and Midmarket Companies and Their Leaders
- A Trusted Strategic Advisor Relationship With a B2B CFO®
- New Technologies Shaping the Future of Your Business
- How Disintermediation Impacts You and Your Business
- Increasing the Minimum Wage – Good or Bad for Small Business
- HOW TO ENGAGE YOUR EMPLOYEES
- THE CLOUD: SHOULD YOU BE THERE
- The Top 5 Cash Flow Rules
- Why Do Men and Women Buy and Sell Businesses
- Do You Know Your Banker?
- Lowest Premium Not Necessarily the Lowest Health Care Cost
- Put People Before Profit
- Starting Off Strong
- Are You Ready for Another Year?
- Trust, but Verify | Advice from B2B CFO®
- Can CEOs Afford to Be Angry?
- Do We Really Need to Reduce Fixed Costs?
- Cash: In Like Rabbit, Out Like Turtle
- WRITE WELL – LOOK GOOD
- THE TIME BANDIT
- Zero Error Communication
- Check Your Engine Light
- Cover Oregon Makes Health Care Choices Easier
- INDOOR FARMING
- TO BE OR NOT TO BE – MODIFIED THAT IS
- Bank Simple at BankSimple
- Decline in Start-ups Parallels Decline in Unemployment
- ANOTHER FINANCING ALTERNATIVE
- AFFORDABLE HEALTH CARE – NOT MADE SIMPLE
- Health Care Reform – Taxes Effective January 1, 2013
- American Taxpayer Relief Act
- INTERNAL CONTROLS – PROTECTING YOU ASSETS
- WHO YA GONNA BELIEVE?
- Fighting Identity Theft
- DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS
- WINNING THROUGH COLLABORATION
- Show Me the Money – Small-business Financing Alternatives
- LAUGH YOUR WAY TO GOOD HEALTH
- Residential Real Estate Jobs Slowly Return