About David Odom
Dave is an experienced CFO / Exit Planning Consultant with over 30 years of expertise serving small to mid-ranged companies in finance and accounting. His background includes working in public accounting, for a Fortune 100 construction company, founding and managing a CPA firm for 15 years, prior to purchasing an international brokerage company and acting as its President and CEO. Recently he served as the Executive VP and CFO for a $35 Billion real estate brokerage franchising company on the West Coast, which accounted for approximately $900 Million in commissions and $40 Million in franchise fees.
As a B2B CFO® Partner, he has provided CEOs and business owners with insights into the key metrics within their industry that measure performance, efficiency and profitability. He has the ability to quickly master the industry financial pressure points and assist to measure, monitor and improve the operations of the company in developing key performance indicators.
Serving a client base of over 100 business entities per year at his CPA practice allowed Dave to develop a broad, hands-on management style of strategic planning. His excellent communication skills have equipped him to work with owners, managers and staff to implement internal controls, software solutions and accounting systems to more timely generate accurate financial and tax reporting.
He has the ability to address the cash flow needs of the company, while maximizing the return on investment of the entity’s tangible and intangible assets. During his career in public and private industry he has established funding for operations, through credit lines, equipment loans as well as equity capital.
Dave has enjoyed serving as a speaker to business owners and on the radio covering tax topics and succession planning. His passion in working with business owners has been the culmination of preparing the business for sale and successfully transitioning the ownership, with the rewards optimized for the seller.
He seeks in both his personal and professional goals to add value to those he works with, to provide a sense of humor to the arena of finance and to sharpen his skills by hiring the best and brightest employees and associating with those who have a passion for what they do in life. As both a C-Level executive and owner of businesses for the past 25 years he is skilled at running companies and adding value to organizations.
Dave is an entrepreneurial and analytical CFO who has started and run companies as well as taken existing companies and improved the processes, procedures and profitability. His approach is to demonstrate a practical problem solving methodology while creating a team of skilled and motivated business associates in the process.
His diverse industry experience includes real estate, franchising, transportation, construction, professional services, manufacturing and distribution, online and storefront retail, wholesale and technology. As an investor he has also served as the CFO for an Internet wholesaler, assisted living operator and international brokerage company.
He is a native to Washington and received his BA in Business/Accounting from Washington State University. His career began as an accountant for a local and regional public accounting firm where he earned his CPA certification. He is a member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Washington Society of CPAs. Dave has served on the Board of Directors for several charitable organizations in the Seattle area.
- BA – Washington State University
Certificates & Licenses:
- Certified Public Accountant – 1981 – Washington
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington Society of CPAs
- Chief Financial Officer Network
- The Financial Executives Networking Group (FENG)
- The Executive Network of Seattle (TENS)
- C3 Leaders Group
Articles by David Odom
- “When is the Right Time to Prepare for Selling Your Business?”
- Raising Capital – 3 Key issues to address
- CFO = Chief Forecasting Officer
- When is a deduction not a deduction or worse yet fraud!
- “Nexus” will this connection come back to haunt you?
- Revisiting your Banking Relationship – Time to get back into the water
- Aggressive or Defensive Tax Planning….which is appropriate!
- The Story of Two Widows
- Book review – Getting Naked!
- Do you have enough tools? Do you have the right tools?
- Isn't It Ironic
- “If Mama ain’t Happy, then Nobody gonna be Happy!” – Chief Encouragement Officer Part II
- Chicken Little Was Right… Social Security will be out of money by 2037!
- CEO = Chief Encouragement Officer